Thursday, September 27, 2007

Model Minorities

We discussed model minorities in class on Friday, and the discussion gave me a new look on several types of minorities, especially Asians. Asians do tend to be viewed as smart but I never looked at them as a 'model minority.' I don't think this is a fair label for any minority, because I'm sure it causes problems for them for other minorities, and it is not fair to other minorities because they already feel pushed aside by caucasians, and now by Asians because supposedly they have made it in America. I'm sure there is some truth to this, though, because if not then the term would not have come around. Perhaps Asians do tend to be smarter, and they do tend to run their own businesses and do well for themselves, but so do many other minorities.

No comments: